[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer GUI

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Apr 27 18:00:35 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 17:36, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Piotr Stachura wrote:
> > 1. I'm decided to make GUI in slave mode, so the first step will be to
> > make working app (based on GTK2, but able to compile on GTK1).
>
> Sad to hear that :-(
> Would have been the perfect time to start a fast and lightweight Qt4.1
> app.

How is Qt 4.1 lightweight? I needed it a while ago for some project and I
couldn't even compile it without freeing up huge amounts of diskspace
(needed over 1GB). After installation:

$ du -sh /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.1/
460M    /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.1

or:

$ du -sh /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.1/lib
216M    /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.1/lib

Am I missing something about Qt 4.1 being lightweight? (serious question)

And I don't like capital letters in directory- and filenames ;-)

As for Piotr going for GTK+-2.0, I can understand i18n and utf-8 support is
vital and GTK is pretty portable. And he's even making the effort to make
it compile with v1.2, which is nice IMHO. Look, for example, at dillo how
small and fast a GTK 1.2 application can be (sadly they are moving to C++
now).

--Ivo