[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Apr 26 13:58:08 CEST 2006

Hi,

Piotr Stachura wrote:
> Hi,
> some time ago, there was a little discussion about GUI for MPlayer. At the end
> nothing was born. I'd like to make new one, but based on QT. I know that you
> guys dislike C++ code but is there any chance that C++ style GUI will be
> included into MPlayer, or it's forbidden?

The problem is simple: current GUI isn't maintained, and has been
designed in a way that isn't clean enough (AFAIK, there's some GUI
code spread all over the source tree).
Should there be another GUI written, it would have to be done a lot
cleaner in order not to impact the rest of the code... which would
somewhat lead to having a GUI like most of the various MPlayer
front-ends (which, afaik use slave mode).

These projects seem to live quite happy as projects separated from
MPlayer, and that's quite fine with me.

Quite frankly, I don't think the _real_ problem is C++, it's a lot
more a problem of manpower: there's not enough ppl interested in
having/maintaining a GUI, so if that GUI is written in C++, and they
don't know that language, nothing good is gonna happen.

I hope this won't restrain you from coding you own GUI: even if it may
not become THE official GUI, I'm sure there's a life besides
"official" mplayer.

Guillaume