[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Benjamin Zores ben at geexbox.org
Fri Apr 21 09:42:49 CEST 2006

> 1. old, MPlayer-1.0pre8

As you've said, -pre doesn't mean anything anymore (it's been pre for
nearly 3 years ... so pre what ?)

> 2. release candidate, MPlayer-1.0rc1

would be the same shit than pre for me, it has no sense.

> 3. using date, MPlayer-1.6.4

that's my favorite one, it's more "ubuntu-like" (even if it's not the goal).
Anyhow in that case, why not simply MPlayer 6.4 ?
What's the meaning of the preceding 1. ?
MPlayer do not have a feature roadmap so it's meaningless and having a 2.
would imply a complete architecture rewrite (MPlayer G2 ...) which won't
come as everyone know of.

So we'll be stuck with a 1.X.Y for ever. If so, then X.Y are enough.
Of course, MPlayer 6.4 may remind you of Windows Media Player 6.4 (which
iirc wad the latest release capable of playing something fine ? :-)

> 4. jumping over 1.0 , MPlayer-1.0.8

why 0.8 then ? it has no more sense than just simply 1.0.

Ben