[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: playback seeking

Yi Ping CHEN yipingchenfr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:04:12 CEST 2006

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:12:39 +0300
From: "Ivan Kalvachev" <ikalvachev at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] playback seeking
To: mplayer-dev-eng at mplayerhq.hu

2006/4/13, yiping chen <yipingchenfr at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> I need your help:)
> I want to have a more accurate playback seeking.
> In what file can I find the method for seeking,  To attempt to a defined
> position?

Exact seeking is already implemented in mencoder.c, if you need same
for mplayer then look at mplayer.c.
If you are going to port it to mplayer be sure to make it optional (by
new option;)

Currently MPlyarer seeks to the nearest keyframe. This means that
mplayer.c sends the wanted distance to the demuxer and the demuxer
goes to the nearest keyframe at that distance. This is the only valid
behaviour as you cannot start decoding from non-keyframe. Now if you
want precise seeking you must decode all the frames until you reach
the one you need. For normal playback this is overkill. However there
are few instances where such behaviour is desired (e.g. editing
subtitles you seek back&forth a lot).

thanks for your response,
do you kown the name of  the fonctions implemented in MPlayer or Mencoder
for the seeking?how can I find them?
my problem is: i want to have a accurate seeking (100ms instead of 1s or 10s
now), how can i realize that?  in which source file are the fonctions for
the seeking (1s/10s) now?

thanks