[MPlayer-dev-eng] .developer cruft

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 2 11:24:05 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:04:08AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> That higly depends on the disks you have and the amount of RAM,
> whether you compiled MPlayer just a few minutes ago or not, etc pp.
> But i agree, unconditional recursing is bad[tm]

Yes.

> > My proposal now is eliminating all makesfiles except in the top-level
> > dir and eliminating recursive make. This will solve all the dependency
> > problems with no performance penalty.
>
> I have a counter proposal: How about a top makefile that includes
> the additional makefiles per directory.

This is actually what I meant, except that the included files were not
going to be complete makefiles, just module/dependency lists.

> This way we have the files
> that declare the dependency local (which is imho a good thing)
> but still can build the dependency tree globaly. If you provide
> a "Makefile" in every subdirectory you can even make a build of
> a subtree the normal way.

I would like it if this could be done, but I'm doubtful. How do you
make the included makefiles change into the correct directory for
building their targets?

> > Until then, if no one objects my first step will be to fix things so
> > that the current system works like having .developer and .libdeps.
> > This will make things better in some cases, no worse in others, and
> > performance will be no worse.
>
> Go ahead.

Done. :)

Rich