[MPlayer-dev-eng] .developer cruft

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 2 03:29:03 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:12:12AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > I can guarantee it's a LOT worse on my system. Probably 10s or more.
> > This is unacceptable.
>
> Huh?  I have the same hardware as you in my PC, I've never had this
> problem.  Provide some steps to reproduce :)

Buy hdd that is not 7200 rpm udma100 or 166 or whatever the fastest
nonsense is now.

> > > I've read that paper as well, but while the rant is completely right in
> > > theory, the practical instructions for implementing non-recursive make
> > > are missing from it.  Where are the examples of non-recursive make
> > > usage?  The whole world seems to happily use it recursively...
> >
> > The whole world does a lot of stupid things. :)))))
>
> Sure, but when the world just ignores the textbook correct solution it
> may also be that the textbook correct solution isn't all that hot.

There's absolutely nothing 'not all that hot' about the correct use of
makefiles except that people are too stupid to write them correctly.
Heading this fud over and over makes me sick, and hearing it from you
is even more disappointing.

Rich