[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make dvd-compatible mpeg's and keyint (gop size)

byavl byavl at papillon.ru
Thu Sep 29 11:12:09 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 06:49:50AM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 09:36:21AM +0600, byavl wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>Can anyone to describe why default for the keyint option
>>>set as 250 ?
>>>Many of a DVD author applications to require the strong dvd compliance
>>>for GOP size. 30 frames (for PAL) and not more.
>

> AFAIK the limit is 18 for NTSC and 15 for PAL for NTSC-FILM. Never
> heard of 30..
of course I meant 15. see example.

>>>Anyone can to change this default ?
>

> No, like Oded said...
>

>>lavc encoder has most settings default for making mpeg-4 streams, for dvd
>>compliance you need way more options than just changing keyint, you also
>>need to change some vrc settings and a bunch of other stuff... I don't
>>think it's worth changing the default just for this tiny option...
>

> Exactly.

What exactly ? mpeg-4 has smart defaults, but what dvd ?
Is it good practic when I must to explore all options
because your defaults is out of standarts ?
You suggest to specify all options. Say no if I say it is stupid!
Default means values that decrease preparing time and
save from mistakes.  In your case it is not!
I expect to get good result without investigation all kind of your
defaults even if I know many dvd specific terms.
It is cool if you can operate with mpeg options.
Talk about to other. But in accurate form.
Manual has no intelligible description
how to do mpeg2 and DVD compliance materials.
Are you try using 'transcode' ? Same problem.
Work correctly only for special prepeared materials.
And after above you speak mplayer is the best!
I'm agree mplayer very good application.
But mencoder not.

Furthermore for my case no any debug output about gop size.
In one mailing list anyone talking about verbose option...
I say about - many garbage, not to groups,
very unuseful.
For current techical debug maybe useful, but for daily
operating it is not.

In addition what you can say about many SIGSEGV
that happens very often when using mpeg2video ?
I think - nothing news again.

About vrc settings. If one is omited the result mpeg
is bullsheet. So, where is default ? Where is any warnings ?

By the way I'm programmer in linux about 15 ages and one
think about all above - DVD is not intresting for you.
mpeg-4 it is cool for you, but is is last age...
Or may be it is laziness.

PS: I'm sorry if above is roughly but many
other application wrote in the same way.
How long ?...

--
byavl