[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] ssa reader for mplayer using vf_overlay

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Thu Sep 29 07:37:30 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:49:24PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:

> Nice! Though, this rather belongs to -dev-eng than -users :)

I was thinking that might be the case when I posted, but since its
external to mplayer I wasn't sure if it was exactly dev material either.

> > I've been wanting to improve the SSA support in mplayer, and this seemed
> > like a good stepping stone method.  Once this project is much further
> > along and once I'm more familiar with the mplayer internals I may
> > attempt a merge it into the mplayer source.
>
> How about completely rewriting the sub system in MPlayer ?
> The current system is limited and doesnt work how it should if
> more sophisticated systems are required.

Okay... :)

> What you would have to do is:
> 1) Extend -vf expand, so it can draw colored subtitles
> 2) Extend libvo so, that there is a colored draw function
> (yes, this has to be done in libvo for speed reasons. A vf is
> nice but is too slow)
> 3) Rewrite the subreader from scratch, so that it handles
> complex subtitles like SSA and the like correctly and uses
> the new color draw functions.

I would certainly like to work on #3.  I'm not sure I can fathom
tackling #1 or #2 until I become integrally familiar with those sections
of mplayer.  As they are prerequisites to #3 though, I will see about
spending some quality time looking the relative source over this
weekend.

--
robh