[MPlayer-dev-eng] shared libavcodec

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 21:02:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 9/19/05, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
> * Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> schrieb:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > am I right, the libavcodec comes from ffmpeg ?
> >
> > yes
>
> are there any differences between both versions ?

On is static, the other one is shared! :o)

If I'm not mistaken the shared version needs to have one register kept
aside, so this leads to suboptimal code, which is not smth ppl want in
general in multimedia programs.

> <snip>
> > > Is it possible to use an installed libavcodec (as shared library)
> > > instead of the one shipped by mplayer ?
> >
> > Yes, but it's not a good idea, search the mailing list archives.
>
> Didn't find enough to be satisfied. What's wrong with this ?
>
> And how can I mplayer tell to use the installed one ?

I don't know how to do that, but in doubt, just remove the shared
version of libavcodec and see if mplayer still works. It it does, let
it stay that way.

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!