[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT, what's left

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 17 10:50:55 CEST 2005

Hi

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:37:29AM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 10:06:20AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > 3. info packets... how should they be used at all
> >
> > see attached patch
>
> Nice patch, but i'm utterly confused.
>
> 1. you should clarify now that 'metadata' stream means an only info packets
>    stream, and not some other random metadata.

well, greping for "meta" has no matches which would point to a differnt
meaning, we could certainly rename it to infoframedata or so though?

> 2. since info packets are now literal frames in streams, you can have
>    multiple info streams?

yes

> they have pts's and their own time base?

yes

> they
>    should all be marked as key frames? (doesn't really matter).

dunno

> 3. why do we still need info_startcode? it can be removed.

yes, but maybe its usefull for error recovery, it adds no complexity
to the muxer at all and negligible complexity to the demuxer IMHO

> 4. what do you mean by pts difference of zero? it's identical to the
>    stream's "last_pts"? why not just use '0'? it makes more sense (they are
>    at the begginning, apply globally, sound like '0' to me).

no, there might be info frames with non zero pts, only the ones
with global meaning must be at the start and have pts=0

> 5. do these streams deserve an index?...

why not

[...]
--
Michael