[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Sep 14 01:39:52 CEST 2005

Hi

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:26:52PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:55:42AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 07:47:55PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Looking at index. Or backpointers at syncpoints when seeking without
> >
> > ok but how exactly should that work, my lets say 3h movie would have 200
> > info frames in the index and i would like to know the title(s) of all parts
> > what should the player do, read all info frames?
>
> Hmm, I see the problem. But I don't know a good solution. You're good
> at these things; maybe you have an idea for making info easy to find
> while also allowing dynamic info?

* store info stuff in several streams, so that "chapter/part descriptions"
like author/title/... are in their own while other less interresting things
are in a different stream
* mark repeated frames somehow in the index

> > > Well the spec seemed to imply that we would in the future add new
> > > standard fields if they're deemed useful (and otherwise people can use
> > > X-Foobar custom fields).
> >
> > yes, but they dont need to be added to the table ...
>
> Right. I was under the impression thought that if people made useful
> extensions, we might eventually give them the holy blessing of NUT and
> add them to the official spec without the X-... :) Surely you can
> envision new fields becoming important in the future.. Whether they
> need their own shortcut id codes, who knows.. maybe it's not
> important.

well, you said yourself that updating the table is problematic and i agree
it is when the thing which demuxes the file is old and the player new
descriptive strings could be passed easily but nut specific id numbers ...

[...]
--
Michael