[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 11 21:40:47 CEST 2005

Status and further discussion...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:41:23PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Regarding info packets (again :( ...), I've been talking with Oded
> 1. StreamId as a key/value pair to specify what stream the info packet
>         stream_id                  v

This seems to have been approved.

> 2. Info packet position? Presumably now they can go anywhere, but this
>    doesn't seem useful since we have info streams.. Can we restrict
>    them to go at the beginning right after the main headers, so that
>    the demuxer can actually find them? And at most one info packet per
>    stream, plus at most one global info packet?

Michael, you said you don't like what I said here, but can you explain
why? IMO info packets are useless if the player can't find them.

> 3. Info fields table:

My idea for this seems to have been rejected. IMO it's not a big deal
as long as there's a safe way to add new values without breaking
parsability of the table.

> 4. Info packet's key/value pair list is 0-terminated. This makes
>    demuxing inefficient since you don't know the number of keys
>    present to begin with, and you may have to realloc multiple times.
>    Most other NUT structures tell the number of elements before the
>    data.

This change seems to have been approved.

Rich