[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 10 02:01:42 CEST 2005

Hi

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 06:39:08PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > >    B. We can't ever add new "well known" fields to this table, even if
> > >       we add new standard fields to the NUT spec, since old demuxers
> > >       won't be able to translate the integer codes to key/type pairs.
> > >       Even if you don't care about old demuxers knowing the key name,
> > >       they _MUST_ know the type to know whether to parse the value as
> > >       "v" or "vb". Thus the savings are limited to the few fields
> > >       already in the table...
> >
> > we could add reserved fields or say even == v / odd == vb
>
> But still the demuxer won't be able to map them into names, so the
> player won't know what to do with these new fields..

and how does the old player know what to do with the new names? a random
word is as good as a random number (especially if its a hackisch abbreviation)

> > >    IMO it would be much more beneficial to just use short efficient
> > >    keys (like "lang" instead of "Language", etc.) whenever they're
> > >    clear.
> >
> > hmm lets see how much space we loose in worst case, lets assume the
> > info packets are repeated every second and we have 1video 1audio 1subtitle
> > stream (more wouldnt be realistic for a very low bitrate stream)
> > Author,Title,Copyright,Description 35byte/sec
> > Encoder,Language,Disposition 3*29byte/sec
> > -> 122 byte/sec = 976bit/sec ~ 1kbit/sec iam not so sure this is
> > insgnificant for very low bitrate
>
> That's why I said we should shorten the strings to reasonable
> abbreviations. Unlike a fixed number<-->longstring mapping, this would
> be extensible.

dont we have more important things to work on with respect to nut then
this?

the only issue here is that we cant add anything to the table which was
never planned anyway and could trivially be fixed by "even == v / odd == vb"
its not obvious to me why shortening the strings is a good idea, it is
alot of work (which you wont do ..., which will delay nut further)
will either make things unreadable or hardly save space and most demuxers
will have to remap the short names to the standard author,title,...

[...]

--
Michael