[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 9 01:44:52 CEST 2005

Hi,

Oded Shimon wrote:
> +			Semantic requirements
> +
> +If more than one stream of a given stream class is present, each one MUST
> +have info tags specifying disposition, and if applicable, language.
> +
> +A demuxer MUST NOT demux a stream which contains more than one stream, or which
> +is wrapped in a structure to facilitate more than one stream or otherwise
> +duplicate the role of a container. any such file is to be considered invalid.

  While i find the idea of the section good i find it way to strict.
Or wrongly expressed --- i am not sure...

  What for example if i remux a file from a different format with multiple
streams per class but the original file does not contain fields for
disposition (and/or language). I don't want my muxer to just insert `random'
valid fields just to be compliant with the nut specification. IMHO that
would even be backwards with regard to the spirit of the semantic requirements
section. So I will end up with a invalid nut file.
  There might also be cases with multiple streams per class which don't
need dispostion at all.

  Similar thing but maybe not so important goes for the second paragraph,
what is wrong with demuxing the suspicious stream `at level 1' for trying
to repair the sick combination. Ok, it might be nontrivial, but maybe possible.
  And i think the level 2 demuxing is out of the scope of the nut demuxer anyway.

  I might be wrong or too tired or both, anyway waiting for some comments
to correct me in that case.

  Alex (beastd)