[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT dts proposal

Uoti A Urpala urpala at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 7 17:39:36 CEST 2005

> and what about:
>
> Muxed frame oder:   I0 P3 B1 B2 I100 B4 ... B99 P103 B101 B102
> Current dts system: -1  0  1  2    3  4 ...  99  100  101  102
> Possible new dts:    0  1  1  2    4  4 ...  99  101  101  102
>
> here the new system "fails" too, and as loren has already said

I don't consider this a "failure" of the muxing system. This stream
has dependencies between distant frames, and it's simply impossible to
mux such a stream so that each part would be playable locally. The
current dts system fails with streams that could be muxed better.

> the alternatives have issues with 1 in 1 out decoders

Yes, decoders limited in that way could cause problems. Those problems
can be worked around by buffering frames in the demuxer though. In the
case of typical video with near constant frame rate, the amount of
buffering needed would not be large; and in the presence of large gaps
the current system doesn't work that well either (even if the demuxer
does not have such limitations).