[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 5 19:23:25 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:59:59PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:03:31PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > the bigest reason against the change is that it breaks compatibility ...
>
> May I suggest something?  IMO keeping backwards compatibility is not
> necessary nor even a good thing at this stage.  As long as there has been no
> formal release of the NUT spec even a 1% simplification is worth breaking
> all existent NUT file IMHO.

I agree here too. Keeping backwards compatibility just leads to cruft.
It's a shame we've left the spec sitting so long without it being
finalized; however, it was made clear from the beginning that this is
a _draft_ spec, and a work in progress. If changes can be made to
simplify it, I think we should feel free to make up up to the official
1.0 release, but not afterwards.

Rich