[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 4 01:56:00 CEST 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 01:36:03AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > What does 'metadata' mean?..
> > stream_class
> >         0       video
> >         1       audio
> >         2       subtiles
> >         3       metadata
>
> metadata: any sort of information that isn't video or audio or subtitle.
> I guess subtitle could be merged with metadata.

Most definitely not!!
Subtitle has a 'codec' just like audio and video, and has a specific
interpretation that should be supported by all players. Metadata is
just the same useless crap that can be put in info packets, tagged
key/value pairs, except that it's muxed in the file rather than in a
global header so it can represent info that changes (such as new song
title on a radio).

> > I'm almost done with my muxer implementation. Stuck on index because of
> > this, still haven't implemented info packets, and it has one slight
> > disadvantage, it reuiqres the caller to be quite smart (all timestamp
> > handling is done by caller).
>
> I can't think about alternatives.

A wrapper layer that does the necessary buffering to ensure that
packets are submitted in proper order would be nice. The muxer itself
should die with fatal error (or reject the packet with error code?) if
a packet is sent with a timestamp in the past and pts==dts.

Rich