[MPlayer-dev-eng] "bytes per second" in user output: use "B/s", not "bps"

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:35:32 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/18/05, a.guru at sympatico.ca <a.guru at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> In MPlayer, the acronym "bps" is used in
> different places to mean four things:
>
>  - bits per second
>  - bytes per second
>  - bits per sample
>  - bytes per sample
>
> Traditionally, in general usage, "bps" means
> "bits per second" and "B" is used for "byte(s)".
>
> It would certainly be dubious to want to fix
> this ambiguity in the whole code (variables
> and strings), but I would propose making the
> following change restricted to output to the user
> (who in general is not an MPlayer code hacker):
>
>  - use "B/s" instead of "bps" to mean
>    "bytes per second" in output strings.
>
> Both are three-character long, so the affected
> strings do not change in length.
>
> The affected files are:
>
>  - 1 string:   mplayer.c
>  - 3 strings:  help/help_mp-*.h
>
> Also, help/help_mp-sv.h misused "bps" instead of
> "fps" in one place.

At least that last one is probably necessary. As far as the rest is
concerned, I don't know: "bps" is common enough to be understood, when
B/s probably is more correct, but is less readable, at least for me.
Just like when I read "RPM = rotations per minute", FPS, BPS, all of
those are common, an widely used.

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!