[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Oct 29 19:31:12 CEST 2005

Hi

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 01:01:59PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask whether the developers of FFmpeg and MPlayer
> would agree to switch from cvs to svn.
>
> The reason is that svn would allow to more easily seperate
> the repo users from system users and thus make administration
> simpler. It also has IMHO better support for backups and
> a few other nice to have features.
>
> >From a user point of view, the change would mostly just
> require to use svn instead of cvs with nearly all commands
> being the same.
>
> So, would you agree on the switch from cvs to svn?

yes if the following things are possible with svn (AFAIK they are but ive
no experience with svn as a developer and know little of how svn works
internally ...)

* moving files without breaking history, that means we can checkout stuff prior
to the move and afterwards and each tree will be fine, with cvs that works by
coping the files on the server and cvs removing the old one

* merging stuff, so for example we can import the cvs or svn of lets say
libmpeg2 into mplayer while preserving the history, with cvs thats easy

[...]
--
Michael