[MPlayer-dev-eng] Utilize libunrar.so/unrar.dll?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 22 05:38:32 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 07:49:22PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:19:58PM +0300, ?smail Dönmez wrote:
> > > I'm against supporting win32 dlls too, but especially against this
> > > 'feature' which (unlike win32 codec support) is totally useless. If
> > > people want to play these subs they can just use the external unrar
> > > binary first.
> > >
> > > unrar3 has source anyway, so if you insist on having rar3 support in
> > > MPlayer, read the source and then write an independent implementation
> > > of the decompresser under some free license..
> >
> > Except you are not allowed to read the code if you will develop an unrar-like
> > program :-).
>
> Utter nonsense. They can write this bullshit but it has no legal
> meaning.

To elaborate before someone flames: Someone cannot magically take away
your rights by writing a license. If you want to use the terms of the
license to copy/modify/distribute the software then you have to go by
whatever crap is written in it (well, in some cases -- some
contractual terms are even outright illegal regardless), but if you
don't care to do these things then you don't need the license, and
you're totally free to do whatever you want with what you learned from
reading the code.

Rich