[MPlayer-dev-eng] switch to svn

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:09:10 CEST 2005

2005/10/21, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 03:24:06AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > Sorry, but as fas as I know SVN uses the DAV protocol to work via http, so
> > > I can't inmagine svn with http without dav ... Or you mean some web frontend
> > > when you're writing 'http and no dav'? Or I've missed something ...
> >
> > dav is only for writing, and last i checked public/anonymous users
> > could not write to the repository...
>
> Gabor is right, WebDAV is necessary for subversion to work over HTTP.
>
> To be precise: Subversion itself is independent of the network layer,
> but currently there are just two server implementations, svnserve and
> Apache + mod_dav_svn.

Somehow I don't like the idea on depending on Apache for everything.
Even for the reason that in case of slashdoting we won't be able to
commit stuff.

Not to say that an single apache/module  vulnerablility could lead to
compromise of the whole reposity.

Also I personally dislike the svn http anonymous fetching. Long time
ago i didn't compile the optional lib (dav?) and I had to download the
whole source tree everytime, because svn reposity was http only.