[MPlayer-dev-eng] Checking on the neu-team's doings so far - Was: [bug?] OSX 10.4.2, lame 3.96.1 vs. libMP3 (today cvs)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Oct 20 19:12:40 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:48:04AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Anyway i mean Rich, not you, for flaming my vf ideas, but you wanst on good
> opinion about my vo, neither. And - even if it's so surprising - your opinion
> does count for me, just like some others (not all, for example i dont care
> at all if Gabu says my vf api design is bad :)).

For what it's worth, my flames turned out to be correct. Right now
MPlayer is unusably slow at h264 because of the IPB model (which does
not suit h264, thus requiring it to use EXPORT type) and the lack of
support for decode-order slices (which requires arbitrary amounts of
buffering at the vo level). I serioysly hope that if you continue G2
you won't leave these fundamental design problems in place.. It will
only get worse with future codecs as they come up with more and more
idiotic ideas for frame dependencies..

Rich