[MPlayer-dev-eng] Do not display CPU codenames?

Zuxy zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:50:01 CEST 2005

Hi,

cputable.h is used to map cpu models to its codename and shows it to
the user whenever mplayer starts. Pretty cool feature. However the
problem is to maintain it. Neither Intel nor AMD has an official
document indicating how to do the mapping. And till now there are
hundreds of codenames created and the number is still increasing. Just
take a look at http://users.erols.com/chare/cpu_gen.htm! And at
present cputable.h is already quite outdated, containing no codenames
for Athon 64.

What I suggest is not to display the codename but the namestring or
the cpuid signature, until there is a portable external library. This
should be much simpler and we always return correct information. My
rationale:

1. When we might say something misleading we'd better say nothing.
2. /proc/cpuinfo and cpu-z do a much better job than we do, since it's
their only job.

Any ideas?

--
Zuxy