[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Sat Oct 8 10:05:06 CEST 2005

Dnia Sat, 08 Oct 2005 04:29:31 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER
<poirierg at gmail.com> napisał:

> Hi,

>> > Is there an SRT standard?
>>
>> No, none of this windows-originated crap has specs. It's just a text
>> file. And I'm totally against ever writing \r's into text files! If
>> someone wants to put \r in there they can do it with a simple script.
>> If you really insist we can open the file in "w" mode instead of "wb"
>> so it gets the \r crap if you run it on windows...
>
> Okay, so I consider both patches undesirable, and drop them from my
> patch tracker.
>
> Guillaume
>
> --
> Reading doesn't hurt, really!
>   -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
So read it with care.
I disagree with this approach completly! SRT files are originally
introduced by
a SubRip Windows application so the format is known. It is Windows-like
text file.
So there is no doubt then there should be "\r\n" line edings in it.

Moreover many DVD players can use this format of subtitle files. But no
Unix format.
So doing this as a simply Unix text format is not a good solution.
Consider this. My patch contains three additional "\r" to the mplayer code
and there is no need to use another app to convert formats.

I am saying this again: SRT means the Windows text file format - not text
file format of
every system you can use. Mplayer reads properly this kind of subtitles so
there is
no problem IMHO. Exporting of subtitles should produce a format which can
be read by other
programs or hardware players too.

This is not end of course because we need to export SRT file in a proper
codepage.
Now it is exported in UTF8 so some conversion is needed anyway. I am
working on it.
IMHO export to SRT should just produce globally usable SRT file and that's
my goal.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka      mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
System  & Network Administration Group           ~~~~~~
PGP public key:   finger atlka at sunrise.pg.gda.pl