[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 8 02:57:28 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:21:29PM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:43:42PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:22:00PM +0200, Adam Tla??ka wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am sending a small patch which adds "\r\n" (DOS line endings) to
> > > dump_srt function
> > > which is a bug correction because SRT is really a DOS format and will not
> > > be
> > > properly read with Unix like "\n" line endings.
> >
> > This is not a bug. .srt files are text files and as such should be
> > stored in (standard) unix text format. If windows/dos/mac/etc users
> > want to use them they can apply the appropriate (broken) textfile
> > conversions.
>
> I disagree.  If we are dealing with a text-based format, we should be
> able to read CR or LF or CRLF.  If we are writing it, we should write

We can read either.

> whatever is either 1) standard or 2) most compatible.  If there is no
> SRT standard spec, this means we should output CRLF.
>
> Is there an SRT standard?

No, none of this windows-originated crap has specs. It's just a text
file. And I'm totally against ever writing \r's into text files! If
someone wants to put \r in there they can do it with a simple script.
If you really insist we can open the file in "w" mode instead of "wb"
so it gets the \r crap if you run it on windows...

Rich