[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 08:22:03 CET 2005

Oded Shimon wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 11:00:53PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:

>>> IMHO no, I don't consider this an extension, and I'm quite sure
>>> none of the file managers will (I know for windows, linux luckily
>>> is useable without one *g*)
>>
>> I agree on all counts - I didn't think this through thoroughly (ha!
>> alliteration!) before sending my last post. I'd consider it
>> annoying, if not necessarily a bug, to get that error message for
>> having specified a filename with no extension at all (which is
>> going to be rather more common, for me, than specifying a filename
>> with an extension which does not match the container format).
>
> So, to understand you guys correctly, if there is no extention, you
> want me to NOT show the warning at ALL?...

That's what I would consider to be correct behaviour, yes.

> Regarding your other mail - yes, it should be done for ALL muxers,
> not just MPEG, but the funny part is, the MPEG muxer IS all the
> muxers. lavf needs no change, and not rawvideo or rawaudio. avi is
> already the default, so just mpeg.

Hmm. How do you conclude that the lavf muxer "needs no change"? As far
as I know, there is not currently any functionality to modify the
default output filename if '-of lavf' is used and the 'format=avi'
suboption is not given... and having just tested with an MPEG file as
input, '-of lavf' with no 'format' suboption or with 'format=mpeg'
writes to test.avi, which I would consider to be incorrect under ideal
circumstances (which is the goal of what I proposed). From what I can
see, the MEncoder lavf muxer is the one which would require the *most*
work to code this, since it has to extract the desired format (and thus
the default extension) from the -lavfopts suboptions and not just from
the -of option itself.

rawvideo and rawaudio should probably not claim to be AVI (in terms of
the extension) by default... I'll admit that I have no idea what
extension, if any, would be good, but again using a known-incorrect
extension is probably worse than using none at all.

> it is possible to tell between user explicit 'test.avi' than the
> default, but it would require some code changes...

I thought it might, which is one reason I haven't been pushing for this
harder than I have. How extensive are we talking about?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.