[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: -mieee CFLAG missing on alpha (patch included)

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 30 02:20:24 CET 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Thomas Cort wrote:

>> I use Alpha, and MP3s work fine on it.  It may have been fixed
>> in CVS.  I don't remember when it got fixed, but I recall that I
>> was involved in the patch.
>
> What CPU do you have? Alpha CPUs >= ev6 don't need -mieee. Mine is
> ev56. Use cat /proc/cpuinfo to find out.

ev56.

>> Anyways, -mieee should *NOT* be used for CFLAGS.  I believe that
>> it produces slower code (anybody know for sure?), which is a bad
>> idea for processor-intensive programs.
>
> "causes less than a 5% performance hit."
> http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha-lfs/#mieee

5% is pretty significant, to me.

>> Options that I endorse:
>>  - get the CVS version
>>  - release pre8
>
> Where do I get pre8 the download page only has pre7?
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Yeah, I meant that they oughta do another release.

> The CVS version still doesn't compile:

Hmm.  Works for me.  Did you make distclean?  Did you update
ffmpeg?

What's your config.h look like?

--
|Andrew A. Gill                       |I posted to Silent-Tristero and|
|<superluser at frontiernet.net>         |all I got was this stupid sig! |
|Yet: <http://www.needsfoodbadly.com>                 Temporary sig: --

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads...