[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 18:15:20 CET 2005

On 11/28/2005 04:06 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 11/28/2005 02:52 PM, Oded Shimon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:58:41PM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo
>> Pinochet wrote:

>> I suggest a variant of this idea - keep everything the same,
>> except: a BIG FAT warning, when you use an output file extention
>> which doesn't math the output file you're giving.

...okay, now that I think about it, this doesn't even make sense as
being related to the problem under discussion. The problem is not
"people give a file extension with -o which doesn't match the container
format they've requested" (although that is *a* problem), the problem is
that "when people don't give a '-o' option at all, but *do* specify a
non-AVI container format, the file extension is wrong".

Unless you mean "giving no output file" to be semantically equivalent to
"giving the output file 'test.avi'", I don't see how the two problems
can be conaidered directly related. Yes, it would be good to fix both,
but fixing the former would not by itself fix the latter.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.