[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 02:49:34 CET 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 03:31:58AM +0200, Ismail Donmez wrote:
>
>> Saturday 26 November 2005 03:25 tarihinde, Reynaldo H. Verdejo
>> Pinochet þunlarý yazmýþtý:

>>> Humm, I dont think so, outfile.mencoder has an 'unknown'
>>> extension, whereas outfile doesnt have an extension at all I
>>> think it has to be just a word. Anyway, real question is:
>>>
>>> is this something we should take care of? if so, is this the best
>>> aproach?
>>
>> outfile is way too generic IMHO.
>
> what about removing the default altogether and forcing the user to
> specify a name with -o??

That's good policy in some ways, but in practice I think it'd just
amount to intentional user unfriendliness. It would be potentially
viable, however, if we allow the user to specify a default for -o in the
config file - either a relative path or an absolute one.

My own initial idea, midway through reading Reynaldo's original post,
was something like 'outfile-mencoder' -- note the hyphen rather than the
period, which avoids the "unknown extension" problem. It's still rather
long and complicated for a default filename, but there's only so much
that can be done to avoid things like that.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.