[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mplayer - runtime win32 codecs dir selection

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Nov 16 16:58:46 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:16:45AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:22:50PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:31:36AM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you do me a favor and write a small patch for
> > > mplayer/mencoder that allows to select the directories
> > > where the codecs are stored at runtime ?
> >
> > +#ifdef WIN32_LOADER
> > +	{"codecs-dir", &def_path, CONF_TYPE_STRING, 0, 0, 0, NULL},
>
> Why #ifdef WIN32_LOADER?  The Real and XAnim libs don't depend on that.

IMO MPlayer has waaaay too many #ifdefs like this. If the code in
question doesn't actually _depend_ on the optional feature (like
depend on its include files, library code, etc.) then it should be
unconditionally compiled. Otherwise it just hurts readability and we
get into cases like the DVD/MKV problem where MKV demuxer didn't have
the chapter variables because they were under #ifdef HAVE_DVD or
whatever.

Rich