[MPlayer-dev-eng] [NEWFILE][TOOLS] a working *anything* to vcd/svcd only relying on mencoder

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 15 18:58:30 CET 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:34:00AM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> Ok, mencvcd and divx2scvd DONT WORK, besides they keep asking
> for third party software that is not needed now that mencoder
> can mux to mpeg too. Attached script does the work of converting
> to svcd/vcd relying only on mencoder. there are some details
> and checks lefted out but it works right out the box.
>
> Feel free to test, havent checked on pal dvd/tv combos.
>
> will commit if no one complains, on the other hand, who
> will fix/delete the other two afore mentioned scripts?
>
> Best regards.
>
>    Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet

Some comments:

> echo "-a	Audio bitrate in kbps [192 For SVCD, 128 For VCD]"

Only 224 is valid for VCD.

> echo "-x	Original 'x' resolution of movie [480]"
> echo "-y	Original 'y' resolution of movie [480]"

Original? Ah, see below..

> echo "-d	Divide/splits movie at given time [No split]"

See below..

> # Calculate output res and other format dependent vars ###################
>
> EXPANDX=$XRES
> EXPANDY=$(($XRES*$RATIOY/$RATIOX))

Not needed. RTFM about vf_expand, it can now auto-expand to 4:3 aspect
(or any aspect. You should be able to automate it without knowing
original size I think.

> 	if [ $NORM = "NTSC" ]; then
> 		SCALEX=480
> 		SCALEY=480
> 		KEYINT=18
> 		OFPS="30000/1001"

Normally ofps should be 24000/1001 with telecine option. There is no
30 fps content out there (almost :).

> START=0;
> for i in $(seq 1 $CICLES); do
> 	NEWNAME=$OUTNAME"_PART"$i".mpg"
> 	echo ""
> 	echo "Making $NEWNAME, wish me luck ;-)"
> 	echo ""
>
> 	if [ $i -eq 1 ]; then
> 		if [ $(($SPLIT+1)) -eq 1 ]; then
> 			TIMESTRING=""
> 		else
> 			TIMESTRING="-endpos $SPLIT"
> 		fi
> 	else
> 		TIMESTRING="-ss $SPLIT"
> 	fi

-ss is NOT RELIABLE whatsoever. Using this will leave gaps or
duplicate segments in the output, or at worst will encode nothing at
all. Instead use editlists with -hr-edl-seek. This is slow but it's
the only way that works. :(

Rich