[MPlayer-dev-eng] Ambisonic playback

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Thu Nov 10 03:32:42 CET 2005

Hello all,

I've just joined this list... I'm assuming the developer list is the
right one, please tell me if not.

The Ambisonic community is putting together a specification for an
Ambisonic player. We are aiming at a free, open source and
cross-platfrom implementation. Hopefully we can integrate with an
existing and established player like Mplayer.

Ambisonic playback is slightly more complicated than straight file
playback because Ambisonic files typically have 4 channels, which need
to be "decoded" to whatever speaker array the user has. So the typical
use case is the user opens the file, configures Ambisonic playback for
his/her specific speaker setup (like 6 speakers horizontally, or 8
speakers in a cube, or 5.1 or whatever).

There is hence a significant GUI effort to undertake ... and there is
ofcourse the Ambisonic decoding (I assume you have a good plugin
architecture that can handle that). Lastly, there is also the fact that
the user has to define which line (on their sound card) will take which
signal.... and this usually needs to be tested with a "beep" so that the
user can confirm they have the right speaker connections.

Could Mplayer integrate such a functionlity in its architecture and
would the Mplayer community be interested in helping out, and hosting
this effort?

(on Ambisonics : http://www.ambisonic.net/)

Etienne