[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slackware package (tgz, like deb/rpm) support

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Nov 7 17:41:36 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:29:00 +0100
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:

> Please read http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/binary-packaging.txt
> and make sure your packaging complies with these guidelines.

I just had a quick look at the guidelines and noticed two things:

1) libsdl MUST be linked
I somewhat thinkt that sdl isn't needed anymore. In the early
days of MPlayer it was good because it could get a little
bit more speed out of x11 or work with broken Xv implementations.
These days it does not offer any advantages over -vo x11 or -vo xv
anymore. This is even more true for the -ao part as it has less
features as oss, esd or any other -ao module.
Thus i'd say we can safely remove this dependency.

2) Although we require that lavc is linked against, we
only recomend to link it statically. IMHO this should be
a MUST (See the recent discussion on ffmpeg-devel about
static linking and development styles)

			Attila Kinali
--
wer soviel schoggi isst, kann sowieso nicht dumm sein ;-)
		-- Sandra