[MPlayer-dev-eng] difference in vobsub handling between mplayer and mencoder

Pomarede Nicolas npomarede at corp.free.fr
Sun Nov 6 17:53:33 CET 2005

Hello,

I hope this is the right list for reporting this (since this looks like a
bug, I guess it might be).

I noticed 2 differences between mplayer and mencoder when playing the same
matroska file.

I use mencoder to reencode the mkv file in RV40 to divx4. So I have 2
files : in.mkv, out.avi.

  - with mplayer, the vobsub subtitles in in.mkv are displayed nearly at
the bottom of the screen (which is OK), but when mencoder creates the new
file, the vobsub are near the center of the screen, which is too high. If
I use -spualign 2, both videos displays the subtitle at the same place, so
this fix the problem, but it seems mplayer and mencoder don't handle the
default value in the same way.

  - a more annyoing problem is that the subtitle don't have the same color
when reencoded. In in.mkv, they're white with a black outline, but in the
out.avi file, they become black with a white outline, which is harder to
read. Is there a way to keep the same color ?

I'm using the following command :

mencoder in.mkv -oac lavc -ovc lavc -aid 1 -sid 1 -spualign 2 -spuaa 2 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000

(using spuaa or not doesn't change the color problem)

This is using 1.0pre7, I don't know if this is fixed in CVS, so I prefer
reporting it.

Bye

Nicolas Pomarede                   e-mail:   npomarede at corp.free.fr

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?"