[MPlayer-dev-eng] Altivec (again..),G3 and runtime detection..

Andrea Palmatè andrea at amigasoft.net
Thu May 5 11:59:07 CEST 2005

Hi all,

many G3 users are reporting to me strange crashes with mplayer and altivec
with runtime detection.
The altivec is not present on G3 and cannot not be used, but the Grim
Reaper (the program that intercept crashes on amiga os4) log tell us that
there is a crash on yuv2rgb_altivec_init_tables.
I'm still investigating and i'm sure at 80% :) that altivec is not detected
at runtime correctly because the flag for altivec is set by HAVE_ALTIVEC
flag and not by caps->hasAltiVec found in cpudetect.c file.

Another thing. if it is possible (since it is already present and tested on
libavcodec/dsputil_altivec.c) to add in cpudetect.c the follow lines:

#ifdef __AMIGAOS4__
#include <exec/exec.h>
#include <interfaces/exec.h>
#include <proto/exec.h>
#endif

and

#ifdef __AMIGAOS4__
	ULONG result = 0;
	extern struct ExecIFace *IExec;

	IExec->GetCPUInfoTags(GCIT_VectorUnit, &result, TAG_DONE);
	if (result == VECTORTYPE_ALTIVEC) caps->hasAltiVec = 1 else
caps->hasAltiVec = 0;
#endif /* __AMIGAOS4__ */

Thank you,
Andrea Palmatè