[MPlayer-dev-eng] PATCH to support theora-exp in mplayer

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Sun May 1 02:02:48 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:
> I'll see if I can figure out how, but it sounds like theora has more
> than one "header packet" per stream. Can you point me to info on how
> these are packed together for inclusion in sane containers? Or do we
> have to make up something ourselves?

As I said, I only work with Ogg containers. I assume someone (not Xiph)
has done something similar for Vorbis, however. You could probably do
the exact same thing for Theora.

> The old theora had security vulns? rotfl..

It contained a good deal of largely unmodified commercial code from On2.
Completely unsurprisingly, there were several places that could cause
illegal memory accesses given carefully constructed invalid video data
(something not terribly uncommon with commercial codec implementations
in my experience). Whether any of them were exploitable or not, I
couldn't tell you. The theora-exp rewrite should contain no buffer
overflows, regardless of the validity of the video data (unless of
course I've made mistakes somewhere, but I did pay special attention to
the issue).