[MPlayer-dev-eng] 32x32 tiled output driver

Jacob Gorm Hansen jacobg at diku.dk
Fri Mar 18 21:40:30 CET 2005

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> No, it's not possible. You're free to take advantage of slice
> rendering to copy data to your tiles, but normally slices will be 16
> pixels tall rather than 32 so you'll have to buffer up two slices
> before you write them out to your device. Hope this helps.

That is sad. Apart from saving a copy, tiling would allow me to ignore
unchanged portion of the frame during my screen update.

Is there a performance benefit to using slice rendering? E.g. smaller
TLB and cache footprint, or what is the motivation for using this method
over put_image()?

thanks,
Jacob