[MPlayer-dev-eng] Custom soft-telecine patterns

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Thu Mar 17 17:56:18 CET 2005

Hi,
reading this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=b38c32c3b426dec0e3e614a00ef7ba80&threadid=88031&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

(relevant quote is this:)

OK, about the dropping... I don't drop anything. Instead I just don't do
any repeats for a cycle so that there is one less display frame. So
normally, I do (for TFF):

a) 3 0 1 2 2

Where bit 0 is RFF and bit 1 is TFF. That makes 6 frames out of 5. Then
every 1001 display frames, I use:

b) 2 2 2 2 2

So once every 1001 I generate one less display frame.

it seems that using pattern a) it's possible to telecine 25 fps
progressive video to 30 fps,
and with pattern b) 25fps -> 29.97

It sounds convincing. Is it really? :)

If it's so I can extend the mpeg muxer to accept a custom telecine
pattern (keeping
predefined ones such as 3:2 , a) and b)   ).

Opinions are welcome.

    Nico