[MPlayer-dev-eng] Two feasible solutions to avoid troubles caused by trivial software patents

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jun 25 13:50:58 CEST 2005

Hi

On Saturday 25 June 2005 12:34, Dirk wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> >>2) Technical solution:
> >>Use Bittorrent to download difficult-to-develop (trivial-patent) codecs
> >>dynamically during runtime. I'm writing a audio player that will play
> >>everything-that-makes-noise and which will maybe use Bittorrent or just
> >>http for downloading codecs from the project site in china.
> >>
> >>Stop whining and show them the consequences.
> >
> >No one is whining, you're just clueless about strategy.
> >
> >Rich
>
> Reading and bookmarking http://www.ffii.org/ and signing every new,
> newer and latest petition of this inflation of petitions _sure_ did help.

it certainly helped more then it will in china in a few years, or are you
really so retarded to belive that thouse who try to push the sw patents in
europe into the law will let china distribute sw-patent infriging software,
that would negate their efforts here completely, no they will not stop they
will use everything they can because they have no choice, they must either
push the lawmakers into legalizing sw patents or they will not survive
against the quick and smart small and medium sized companies and free
software

its simple, if you cannot produce a better product you must somehow keep the
customer from buying the better product from the competitor, sw patents are
the most effective weapon if you are a big company and the competitor is a
small one, they simply need many more patent licenses from you then you from
them not to mention the difference in money reserves for long lawsuits

[...]
--
Michael