[MPlayer-dev-eng] Two feasible solutions to avoid troubles caused by trivial software patents

Dirk noisyb at gmx.net
Fri Jun 24 14:15:42 CEST 2005

Hello,

1) Drastic solution:
In China there is *NO* software patent from LAW's prospective. If you
apply a software patent, it is sure to be rejected by the Patent Bureau.
Someone would have to make his software patent requisition look like a
hardware patent since the patent bureau officers are no experts.

Personally I'm already on the go to move a few of my projects to chinese
project hosts which work exactly like SourceForge with httpd, cvs,
files, lists, and i18n of course.

http://cosoft.org.cn/index.php
https://sf.linuxforum.net/

2) Technical solution:
Use Bittorrent to download difficult-to-develop (trivial-patent) codecs
dynamically during runtime. I'm writing a audio player that will play
everything-that-makes-noise and which will maybe use Bittorrent or just
http for downloading codecs from the project site in china.

Stop whining and show them the consequences.

Dirk