[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: "Core dumped :)" -> "Stream core dumped :)" maybe less confusing?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 08:33:13 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 01:53:16AM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
>
>> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>
>>> This has been discussed on the past, and the conclusion has
>>> always been: "MPlayer's design doesn't allow it".
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Well, I of course know that there is strong opposition to a radical
>> change, but I thought asking for a small change (which IMHO
>> preserves the joke) would be worth a try. :-)
>
> IMO it doesn't preserve the joke. The joke is thinking for a split
> second "wtf, mplayer just crashed?!?" then seeing the smiley face. :)

And if that were always what happened, it'd be just fine - but as has
been demonstrated on multiple occasions, people do not necessarily
notice the smiley face, and/or don't interpret it as meaning "this isn't
really an error"; it's not just borderline computer-illiterate people,
either, since if I hadn't been exposed to the message beforehand by
reading discussions of it I wouldn't have interpreted it correctly.. You
disagree that this is sufficient to warrant changing the message (and
probably removing the joke), and so does the apparent developer
consensus, but I have yet to see any counter to the fact that multiple
people *have* had enough difficulty with it to come to the mailing list
in the past. (Although I believe we haven't had any so far this year.)

For something vaguely less unconstructive, I'll agree that the suggested
change doesn't really preserve the joke.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.