[MPlayer-dev-eng] handling windows codecs in mplayer?

Osama Khan oskhan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 22:04:46 CEST 2005

Hello All,

I was just wondering how does mplayer handle windows codecs (wmv, wma
etc.) from a programmer's point of view? Does it use a wrapper for the
original windows codec DLLs or does it use reverse engineered codecs.
Any comments (advantages/disadvantages, ease of implementation) on
either of these or any other approach will be highly welcome. I tried
searching the archives but didnt find anything covering this question
in a reasonable manner.

Thanks in advance!

-Osama