[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Is it possible to compile mplayer/mencoder as a lib called by other applications?

Bryan Wilkerson bryanwilkerson at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 18:22:32 CEST 2005

--- Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:34:19 -0400
> >Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> >
> >> Good luck.. MPlayer is full of global vars and
> crap that's not
> >> reentrant/multiple instance safe. Fixing this is
> basically a complete
> >> rewrite.
> >
> >Don't listen to Rich, he is always too negative :)
> >
> >			Attila Kinali
> >--
>
> in this case he's too optimistic: he sounds
> confident that someone
> can make some sense of what happens in mplayer.c's
> main()

That much I have made sense of (tho painful it was).
The main file of libmplayer is libmplayer.c which is a
hack job on mplayer.c.  There are some noticable
differences in that I've split up a lot of the
functionality into, well, functions.  I'm not a big
fan of 3,200 line functions, 2,000 line loops or over
zealous use of goto.  But I am a huge fan of whoever
started this project and those that have contributed
along the way so I'll resist complaining about style
issues :)

Even with that Rich is probably right; there are a lot
of globals defined outside of mplayer.c that control
various features and it will definitely increase the
tenacles of the patch.

-bryan