[MPlayer-dev-eng] patch for stereoscopic support

Gabriel Winckler winckler at campogeral.com.br
Thu Jun 16 07:20:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

We have worked a little more, and I thing we have a better patch. But
first let me explain a little more about stereo. (If you are in a hurry,
go to ABOUT THE PATCH).

A stereo projection is when you have exhibition of two different images
in overlay, one for each eye, simulating the 3d vision.

(This kind of thing is use for ONLY two reasons: amusement parks and
engineers with lots of free time. We fit the second class, i think.)

There are to types of stereo projection: Active and Passive.
The first one uses a glass that flicks, one time closing one eye and
leave the other open, and than swap, together with the screen.

The second uses "polaroids" or color filters in the projector lents, and
glass with the same filter. Bolt images are projected at the same time.

The first is more complex and expensive, but has better results, like
better image. The second is cheap.

The input file usually has the two images in the same frame, sided right
and left. But it has other formats like the top/down, who is converted
with the down3dright filter.

Here in the lab, we use to have passive projection, so we just play the
fullscreen video in a twinview mode with 2 monitors (projectors). It
work nice, but only in fullscreen.

Now we have a new setup, based on active stereo. And we need a video
player.

I choose GL because I know how to work with stereo (our main task is
develop a stereo GL application).

This stereo requires a capable video board, with quadbuffer. I know
about Nvidia Quadro and some ATI.

(It helped anyhow?)

!!! ABOUT THE PATCH

This is a improved patch, much more clean (I hope), that extend the gl2,
adding a "stereo" option. The resize and fullscreen works fine, just
like the osd (magic!). It should work on windows, but I can't test.

What you think?

If someone is interested, I can send samples of this videos, but you
have to have a Nvidia Quadro or a ATI graphic card.

Thanks again,

Winckler