[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio out feature (not a request)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Jun 13 21:21:22 CEST 2005

William Man wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask if there exists a audio out for mp3?  This allows real-time
> encoding of mp3 from live streams.
>
> I could not find any reference in the source from the website, so I compiled
> myself a version to do this, and can be used like "mplayer inputsource -ao
> mp3:file=save.mp3:bitrate=128", it still requires some debugging but it
> works (currently only a windows version as it links to the lame_enc.dll)
>
> However, I was thinking of using the current lame encoding in mencoder to
> generate a mp3 output for mplayer so the encoding is compiled into mplayer
> (and not use any libraries).  Does it already exist and I'm wasting my time,
> or is there any reason it isn't implemented (legal or otherwise).
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> William

MPlayer has PCM output. Though an internal mp3 encoder could be a bit
more efficient, using PCM as an intermediate format is much more
versatile. You can just use lame, or oggenc, or probably just about any
other audio encoder you want.

I don't know if windows has anything like named pipes, but on a unix
system you can skip the intermediate file.

$ mkfifo audiodump.wav
$ lame audiodump.wav output.mp3

lame will sit there waiting for data; go to another terminal, and:

$ mplayer some-file-or-url -ao pcm

-Corey