[MPlayer-dev-eng] gcc 2.95.3 ve_xvid4.c compile error

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 8 10:40:10 CEST 2005

Hi,

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:18:35AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > The point is that anyone who knows C wouldn't even think of writing a
> > declaration anywhere but the beginning of a function... Doing this has
> > been possible for less than 2 years... Is everyone really that much of
> > a newbie to C?!?
>
> I don't think that's true. Maybe gcc started supporting it 2 years ago,
> but I'm quite certain it was already possible when I started writing C
> programs about 5 years ago (don't ask me what compiler though, probably some M$
> or Borland thingie).

  The thing is, that C++ compilers supported this since ages anyway. And
even years ago ppl already used C++ compilers to compile C ( what I find
rather annoying, but well.. ). So for many ppl there is no clear border
between C and C++.

  But enough on this, i think we should better make a clear statement
about what we allow to be used of C99/extensions and what not, similar
like it is done in FFmpeg. Maybe that helps a little.

  Alex (beastd)