[MPlayer-dev-eng] osx now on intel cpu's

Nicolas Plourde nicolas.plourde at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 7 14:45:10 CEST 2005

On 7-Jun-05, at 8:19 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:

> Nicolas Plourde wrote:
>

>> I will also try to buy a transition system but they are not cheap and
>> you also need
>> a apple premium/select account to be eligible (donation?).
>>

> Won't be possible to use darwin/x86 to prepare the FAT bin and then
> test
>  it there?

No since darwin/x86 do not support Quartz/Carbon/Cocoa, we cant build
mplayer for osx on it.
But these are high level api, there should not be any porting issue
to osx intel, and since mplayer work on darwin x86
all grunt work have bee already done on the low level side of things.
If nobody can get is hand on the transition
kit, the best option will be to keep things running on darwin/x86,
but there will be no way to test the mplayerosx fat binary
until we get the actual system.

NOTE: Fat binary are not  affecting unix style app, Only application
bundle. Think of it as 2 executable for different platform
in the same directory. OSX will chose the one to run.

NOTE 2: and before someone start talking about Rosetta, keep in mind
that Rosetta will only emulate G3 compatible
application. it wont run G4/G5/altivec code.

====
Nicolas Plourde <nicolas.plourde at sympatico.ca>