[MPlayer-dev-eng] [jvenner at cloudlink.com: Re: Looking for help encoding some videos in h264]

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jun 6 18:15:30 CEST 2005

Hey,

this guy contacted me, he is willing to pay for some x264 encoding help.
If you are interested in the job, get in touch with him.

Diego

----- Forwarded message from Jason Venner <jvenner at cloudlink.com> -----

From: Jason Venner <jvenner at cloudlink.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:38:27 -0700
To: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
Subject: Re: Looking for help encoding some videos in h264

I am actually tempted to buy a multi-pass hardware h264 encoder.

I would pay market rate for the country/area the person is from, for
the time they spend.

What would probably be best is a couple of hours of detailed
instructions on how to optimize h264 encoding and or recommendations
on good h264 hardware encoders [if they can be had for < say $500
USD].

I couldn't figure out how to do vbr for h264, so I am currently doing
the following...

rm frameno.avi #- remove this file, which can come from a previous 3-pass encoding (it interferes with current one)

FILE="$1"
BITRATE=$2
ENCODE="$3"

cat ${ENCODE} | time mencoder - -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 && \
cat ${ENCODE} | time mencoder - -ovc x264 -x264encopts log=0:subq=5:pass=1:bitrate="${BITRATE}" -oac copy -o "${FILE}.avi" && \
cat ${ENCODE} | time mencoder - -ovc x264 -x264encopts log=0:subq=5:pass=2:bitrate="${BITRATE}" -oac copy -o "${FILE}.avi" && \
cat ${ENCODE} | time mencoder - -ovc x264 -x264encopts log=0:subq=5:pass=3:bitrate="${BITRATE}" -oac copy -o "${FILE}.avi" && \
cat ${ENCODE} | time mencoder - -ovc x264 -x264encopts log=0:subq=5:pass=3:bitrate="${BITRATE}" -oac copy -o "${FILE}.avi"

At some point I nneed to figure out how to scale the video [when transcoding] to the presentation
size and crop the letter box bars away...

Being busy is far better than being bored..

----- End forwarded message -----