[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: Re: fast SPP - working code

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jun 4 02:39:42 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 10:46:29PM +0200, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> > Nikolaj wrote:
> >
> >>I'm using gcc 2.95.3 (mingw). Yes, please send both compiler and trace
> >>report (also which video, dimensions, etc).
> >

> > Here is a complete fix. The problem (besides a silly typo in my previous
> > patch) was wrong i/o parameter list in the asm code, which makes gcc
> > think that the register values don't change. After moving the arguments
> > from input to output and declaring as read/write, it works ok. It's a
> > nice performance improvement indeed, but I didn't check out the image
> > quality much yet :)
>
> Another nitpick: spp is broken on files with width%8 != 0.
> store_slice_mmx functions need to align the width first by
> width = (width+7)&~7 .
>
> The positive side: I tried spp doday on various movies and both speed
> and quality are really amazing! I hope it will get into mainstream soon.

IMO if it behaves differently from current spp, or has different
featureset (I seem to remember this being the case) then we should
give it a different name and leave both in place. Otherwise, feel free
to commit as soon as the code is confirmed to compile (including on
gcc 2.95) and basically work. :)

Rich