[MPlayer-dev-eng] N-buffering...

4664 4664 at telia.com
Wed Jun 1 13:35:25 CEST 2005

Hi. Playing x264 encoded videos on my machine is quite taxing, using
maybe 80% CPU. But even though I have 20% CPU left I still get jerky
pan/scan motion. I suspect that this happens because the CPU is
sometimes too slow to decode a frame within the 1/25th of a second that
is available (for a 25fps movie). These occasional "difficult" frames
(or set of frames) probably cause the problems.

Would it help to implement a video fifo of N frames? (Where N is perhaps
5 or 10). This would be like double-buffering but with N frames. If
there are occasionally "difficult" frames to decode, the N-buffer would
even it out. I realize that the N-buffer would affect A-V sync but that
should be possible to solve...

Perhaps this is already implemented but I haven't found it? How hard
would it be to do?

I'm willing to give this a try but first I'd like to know what you guys
think about it.

  -- Henrik